This is what I made this year for people I want to give small gifts to... in my family, that means cousins, aunts, and uncles mostly. I spend a lovely couple of hours with a friend, and we each got 14 bags to give away. We made a double batch of white and milk chocolate, and a single of the caramel (or about 1 cup of unpopped popcorn per type). The cost, including ribbon and bags, was less than $10 each. My favorite is the milk chocolate, but my friend preferred the white.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 2 1/2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 3/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- Grease a large roasting pan.
- Combine popcorn and nuts in prepared roasting pan.
- Combine morsels, corn syrup and butter in a medium, heavy-duty saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Pour over popcorn and toss well to coat.
- Bake, stirring frequently for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Loosen popcorn from pan and allow to cool slightly in pan.
- Remove to a wax paper lined cookie sheet to cool completely.
2 cups white chocolate dipping wafers
1/2 cup popcorn (measured unpopped), air popped
- Pop popcorn.
- Melt white chocolate wafers in glass measuring cup in microwave.
- Pour white chocolate over popcorn. Stir well.
- Spread on wax paper lined cookie sheets. Allow to harden.
I just may repeat this next year.