Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup (adapted from this recipe) - 6 servings
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use 4 tsp OXO plus 4 cups water)
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or milk to make it healthier)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley or chives (optional)
Fry and chop bacon. Place in slow cooker, with 1 tsp of bacon fat.
Add seasonings, broth, and vegetables. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours, until veggies are soft. I usually prepare it the night before and put it in the fridge, then cook all day while I'm at work - 7:30 am to 5:30 pm - without problems.
When you get home, mix up the cornstarch with the water. Pour into the soup, turn up to high and allow to boil. This may take as long as half an hour.
Add the cream or milk and the hot sauce. Turn down to "keep warm" and allow to heat through but not boil (although I haven't found it ruins it if it boils).
Serve with bread and salad for a balanced meal.